Minutes of DuluthYacht Club Board of Directors Meetings
Duluth Keel Club Board Meeting 11/14/16
Grandma’s Sand Bar
I. Meeting called to order at: 6:04 PM
Members in attendance: David Turnham, Keith Stauber, Larry Mariette, Fred Dudderar, Steve Henry, Steve Schick, Stacy McKenzie, Amy Marincel, Nick Rorem, Matt Ruona, Jeff Zervas
II. Approval of Agenda: N/A
III. Approval of Minutes from 10/10/16: Motion to accept Keith Stauber, 2nd Larry Mariette. None opposed.
IV. Treasurer’s Report (F. Dudderar for J. Welinski)
- Possible discrepancy for summer party income vs summer party expenses as well a significant variance from the proposed budget. Needs review with treasurer’s books on hand.
- Responsibility of the board to determine membership and race fees for 2017 season, by December at the latest
- Per budget: making profit off membership, so general club consensus would be to not raise dues
- From a fundraising perspective, might want to start looking at logging time for providing free services to those that can’t afford memberships (exg. giving people sailboat rides on Wednesday nights)
- F. Dudderar, motion: No increase in 2017 race fees and membership fees. Approved by K. Stauber, 2nd by S. Henry. None opposed.
- clarification by S. McKenzie, will this motion include early bird special. Yes
V. Race Committee Report (F. Dudderar for D. Johnson)
- Distributed copy of race schedule with errors corrected
- 4 Wednesdays in the summer series with final decision to have July 4th “Fun Race” per annual membership meeting
- No action needed in modifying schedule
VI. Social Committee Report (S. McKenzie/A. Marincel)
- Strategy is to grow membership and support a social structure that has been lacking in the club recently. Goal is to increase club satisfaction.
- Social Ideas:
December: Trivia night at Amity Coffee (free, will open specially for yacht club)
January: Bingo (free for members; $1 per card, $5 cover for non-members)
February: Movie night at Zeitgeist ($5 for non-members, free for members)
March: Bowling, possibly curling
Other ideas: Learn to Curl night, K. Stauber will look into this to help reduce cost ($25/head per S. Schick); Social at Spirit after ski league; Yoga night
- K. Stauber, Member meeting at Curling Club to assess workings of clubhouse facility
- F. Dudderar, asking for proposed schedule ready by December board meeting with costs attached
- 13th St Socials: goal is 3 socials at this location (one per season); NEEDS: tent (S. Schick proposes purchasing a tent)
- A. Marincel, considering banquet changes (venue change, possibly Greysolon; Friday night party; changing night of annual membership meeting). Need decision tonight in order to hold position at Greysolon for 2017.
- L. Mariette makes a motion to empower the social committee to make final decisions re: the banquet; 2nd by M. Ruona. None opposed
VII. Membership Report (S. Henry)
- Nothing to add
VIII. Club House Report (L. Mariette)
- Met one week ago with Rebecca, looking at doing interviews for the feasibility study in January; Meeting with mayor Nov 30 to present club numbers and discuss clubhouse/marina as well as find use for city money in furthering the project
- Jed Lahti (K. Stauber crew) working on picture of future clubhouse for no cost
- Lease will be e-mailed to all board members for review. L. Mariette proposes reviewing this at next meeting
- “We as an affiliate of the boat club, without financial responsibility, believe this lease aligns with what we need to do for the club”; Is the DYC/DKC interested in being a part of the 13th St property?
IX. Trans-Superior (S. Henry for K. Henry)
- Already have 9 entries
- Website is redirecting to yacht scoring for registration
Meeting Adjourned: 7:52 PM
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 10/10/16
Meeting called to order at 6:10 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Keith Stauber, David Turnham, Amy Marincel, Fred Dudderar, David Johnson, John Hoenig, Larry Mariette, Ben Stauber.
Approval of Agenda - no new items
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 9/12/16.
- 1.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd David Turnham
- Treasurers Report - Reviewed statements provided in Jim’s absence. Registration report for the banquet showed 54 reservations. Registrations close on Wednesday the 12th. Fred will send out another reminder. Discussion on placing financial statements on the website.
- A.Motion to approve Treasurer’s report - Larry Mariette, 2nd Keith Stauber.
- Race Committee - Had 36 races, 3 were canceled due to weather conditions. Philosophy this summer has been safety first. Commends John on his ability to set courses based on changing weather. J24 fleet has had the opportunity to do almost 40 races this season. New committee members, Dave has been nominated as chair again. Also nominated as Nordic Ski coach of the year, brings a lot of dedication caring and education to his role. Nick Rorem has been nominated, Art Johnson nominated as protest chair and he would like to get specific training from US sailing. Reviewed proposed 2017 race schedule, specifically, the 4th of July race (Wednesday night) is a fun race. Discussion on the purpose of the summer series and how it impacts scoring for those who race on their boats or others in other races (i.e. Race Week, Mac races, International etc.).
- 1.Motion to accept schedule as is, will leave scoring to the future board. - Larry Mariette, 2nd Amy Marincel. Opposed - Keith Stauber.
Confirmed that we have nominations, as well as trophies turned in for updated awards.
4.Annual Meeting - Discussion on survey results for name change, change to name refers to the ability to pursue the DBA of “Duluth Yacht Club” if it becomes available. Add a sentence that states the board shall periodically poll the membership for its preference on the assumed name for the club.
5.Bylaws Changes - Reviewed proposed changes to bylaws. Need 25% of membership for a quorum.
6.Survey Monkey - Received results. Proposed to table the discussion to the next board for their input and planning. Reviewed some highlighted items.
7.Banquet - We have until Wednesday for people to register. We are having a Silent Auction, proceeds going to the yacht club. Will send out another reminder.
8.Nominations - Needed three board members and a secretary. Monica is our nomination for Secretary, board member nominations are Matt Ruona, Nick Rorem, and Jeff Zervais.
9.Clubhouse - Very close on working for the lease. Bob has been in touch with the city continuously. Our Fundraiser is in the process of doing the feasibility study. Keith has contacted the St. Louis Co commissioner regarding tax liabilities. Would like to have a chance to speak to the members in attendance of the banquet as they may not attend the meeting. Fred agrees that there should be a ten minute report at the annual meeting, will put up a display for those in attendance of the banquet.
10.Motion to Adjourn - David Turnham, 2nd Dave Johnson
Duluth Yacht Club Meeting 9/12/2016
Hanft Fride Law Board Room
Meeting called to order at 6:0pm. Members in attendance - Fred Dudderar, Stacy McKenzie, Keith Stauber, Jim Welinski, Dave Johnson, Jamie Kumbera, David Turnham, Larry Mariette,
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 8/8/2016
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd David Turnham.
- Treasurers Report - More activity this month from summer parties. J-24 class asked the club to front some money, $300, and in return we received back about $181. Discussed funding class socials, as the J-24 class asked for funding, yet A class paid for their own. Will discuss how we can handle these next year. Discussion on use of Pier B as a possible Trans site.
- Race Committee - Flags have been ordered and should be arriving, trophies are being collected. Discussion on name that should be on the trophies (keel vs. yacht). Will leave as is, there is already a mix of keel vs. yacht club. Trans superior needs a website built, Dave will talk with Fred, Kris Henry is ready and willing to get started planning. Would like to get race schedule done and ready for Annual Meeting, Dave would like to have winter time more free this year. Protest hearing may need some tweaking and will work on that. Thinks thing have gone well this year as far as racing goes, and they aired on the side of safety. Would like to propose that we reach out to bridge operators with gift cards thanking them for being so cooperative, will have to see if they are able to accept gifts as city employees. Would like to reach out to see what options may be to use the empty vista fleet building for temporary use. Dave will look into it. J24 event for next year it’s district championships and has a worlds berth, wondering if we would be able to move it to June, would be nice to separate it from the Trans to give people a break between labor intensive regattas. Will set this regatta as a priority and run our schedule around that. Would ask that budgets are set as soon as possible for putting together numbers for next year. Discussion on scoring, appendix A - number that show up vs. number that have signed up. Offshore, number that show up plus 1, Wednesday nights it’s number of boats registered plus 1.
- Annual Meeting - Nominating Committee - Discussion on board members and need to come up with some replacements. Fred will get committee to reach out for interest. By-laws will be addressed will look into name change and time in advance for possible name change.
- Social - Need to get details out for invitations, adding a dollar to the price would cover the Zapp events cost. Will have a band at a cost of about $600. Silent auction has been handled, but we need to make sure we get donations. Fred will send out a message asking for donations. Annual meeting will be at 10, Jamie will set up a room. Would like to propose an amendment to change the bylaws to use name Duluth Keel Club, but at board discretion may rebrand the name as fit.
- Membership report - No official report.
- Clubhouse Report - Working through details of the lease as well as the affiliate agreement. Discussed issues with portion of for profit space, as well as issues with “Jointly and Severally” language included. Fundraiser was at the last DBC board meeting, and will be at the next with more work for the DBC to do. Looking for a face to run our campaign, someone who knows a lot of people in town. Chuck Allen came to the meeting as a prospect, but declined to take the role. Felt we were too focused on sailing, we have started to reach out to the Power squadron as well to loop them back into the conversation. Had concerns with the need to raise 6 million dollars. Continuing to look for someone who would fit the role.
- New Business - Jim would like the board to increase the amount of money we donate to DSSA. Feels like it would be money well spent. Would like to have a presentation from them to discuss financials, numbers etc. Will continue to discuss.
- Motion to Adjourn - David Turnham, 2nd Dave Johnson.
Duluth Yacht Club Meeting 8/8/2016
Meeting called to order at 6:0pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Keith Stauber, Amy Marincel, Jim Welinski, Dave Johnson, Jamie Kumbera, Larry Mariette, Brian Shelton, Kelly Hoenig, Sarah Priest, Tracy Buege.
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 7/11/2016
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd Larry Mariette.
- Treasurers Report - Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet provided. 6 Transactions total for the month. May be reaching the end of our income from memberships, need to continue to push for crew memberships. Error from last month, Printing expenses were listed under office expenses, has been corrected for this month. Need to have a discussion regarding the laminating expenses for the leading edge next year.
- 1.Motion to Accept - Keith Stauber, 2nd Dave Johnson
- Race Committee - J24 Regatta: 5 Boats have officially signed up, have heard of up to 9 boats planning to sign up. Need to put together a protest committee. Will have a nearshore race as well with a plan to end near the Superior Entry so that there is easy access to Barkers for the Gala. Membership Gala: Will see what we can put together in the next few days, may not be as grand, but Fred will send out an e-mail reminder. Jamie will send out an e-mail to the board communicating what the plan is and what needs to be done.
- Social - October 15th has been confirmed for Northland Country Club. Class Socials - A Class has rescheduled for end of August at Pier B. C class is struggling with planning due to availability and logistics of where boats are located.
- Membership report - No official report. Make sure we push the gala for social members, remind owners to encourage crew to sign up.
- Clubhouse Report - Boat club is meeting with the selected fundraiser, Rebecca Jorgenson-Sundquist, on August 15th. She will be doing the Feasibility study to see what the outlook of our project is after holding the interviews. Need input on potential people to interview. Please let Larry know as Rebecca will be interviewing 30-40 people. This study will tell us first of all if this project is possible and if it is, is our scope to small or is it too big. The first half of Rebecca’s payment has come from DKC members. Concern over a divided approach with several entities. It was asked at the DBC meeting to have a member representative from each affiliate on the Duluth Keel Club Clubhouse Committee. It is felt that none of the funds from this project should be assumed to come from any affiliate budgets; it should be done by fundraising. Discussion on Subleasing, who can manage the water sports center etc. Cost to fundraise it as well as cost to operate is a big factor on a 50 year lease. Jim would like to put us in touch with the Lake City Yacht Club to see how they went about their project. Would like to have boat club minutes distributed to the Duluth Keel Club board. Stacy will facilitate that. Discussion on the split between DSSA and the Keel Club, and our relationship with them and if we should work more collaboratively with them.
- Website - Would like to hear more about what our members are doing when they race in other clubs races, whether that’s as crew, or the boat goes out. Please send information and stories to Fred to incorporate and promote that information on the website. Encourage others to do the same.
- Motion to Adjourn - Brian Shelton, 2nd Keith Stauber.
Duluth Yacht Club Meeting 7/11/2016
Grandmas Sand Bar
Meeting called to order at 6:02pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Tim Traynor, Keith Stauber, Amy Marincel, Jim Welinski, Steve Henry, Kris Henry, Dave Johnson, Jamie Kumbera, Ben Stauber, Dave Wakefield, Nick Rorem.
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 6/13/2016
- Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd Tim Traynor.
- Treasurers Report - Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet provided. Some income from race fees that was expected. Bill received from Barkers for the Committee boat. Memberships are down, will make an announcement to remind people on boats to join when the announcements for socials happen each Wednesday night.
- Motion to Accept - David Turnham, 2nd Keith Stauber
- Race Committee - Duluth Regatta: Saturday fundraiser for DSSA is not going to happen due to the fact we weren’t able to secure a location. Sunday should be decided by the board, Jim didn’t feel comfortable making the call on a race course. Sunday will be a modified triangle race depending on wind. Saturday will consist of a beach party and overnight anchorage benefit for Mark Shevchik. Rating Certificate Update: Have the majority of certificates turned in. Database will be added to the website for transparency. J24 Regatta: Jamie is working on the NOR, should be ready tomorrow. There is no budget for the regatta, needs funds for merchandise, awards etc. Fred would like them to come up with their own budget and he will then circulate it for board approval. Need host families for approximately 6 boats and 4 ppl per boat. J24 Start: Met with RC and have decided to have their own start and be scored separately. DKC race during race week/Midsummer series: DJ is looking for peoples thoughts, will revisit in the fall.
- Club Transition - We create a survey to send out early September to get people’s thoughts on the name change before the General Member meeting in October.
- Social - Have moved around. Next week we will be at the boat site with a food truck, following weeks we will rotate responsibilities between classes. Banquet is going to be at Northland Country Club the third Saturday of October. Will try to push skippers/crew to donate baskets.
- Membership report - Boat owners need to get crew to sign up.
- Clubhouse Report - DBC has selected a fundraiser. She will do a feasibility study at a cost of $11,000. Will conduct approximately 40 interviews, where she will discuss plans etc. to get reactions from potential donors to gauge interest and ability for our project before we get started on a larger scale. Having discussion on what the Keel Club’s role will be and how that will affect lease details that are still in discussion. Are looking at several options to get designs in place and get some of the work done. Will need help in funding the study, would be good to prove as a club that we believe in the project. There are some concerns regarding our ability to run this facility on volunteer hours, as well as potential tax liabilities if we are the tenants. Discussion on potential future uses, as well as issues on funding and operating including issues with potential revenue earning liabilities. Discussed looking at putting in a morning field in the meantime before there are funds for a full-fledged marina.
- Motion to Adjourn - Keith Stauber, 2nd Amy Marincel.
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 6/13/16
Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Steve Henry, Keith Stauber, David Turnham, Amy Marincel, Tim Traynor, Fred Dudderar, David Johnson, Terry Anderson, Heidi Halker, Larry Mariette, Jeremy Laundergan, Paul Danielson, Brian Shelton.
Approval of Agenda - no new items
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 5/9/16.
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd Steve Henry
- Treasurers Report - Fred presented report in Jim’s absence. Provided P&L, Balance Sheet and ZapEvent financial report. Attempting to save some money by having member packets available at Barkers Island instead of mailing them, cost is about $2.60 each to mail.
- A.Motion to approve Treasurers Report - David Johnson, 2nd Keith Stauber.
- A.David will follow up with Jim to verify Insurance has been paid.
- A.Motion to approve Treasurers Report - David Johnson, 2nd Keith Stauber.
- Race Committee - PHRF certificates received from about 50% of people who were registered for racing, and of that 50% had deficiencies. If you already have a one-design measurement or a LMPHRF certificate all that is needed is to fill out the top sheet and attach your existing class measurements/certificate. Will be creating an online database so that there is transparency within the club on what boats have declared. Boats that do not turn in certificates will begin to receive penalties 7/1/16. J24 Racing has had a lot of e-mails going back and forth. Would like the J24’s to come together and speak with a unified voice. DJ would like to have a separate J24 start and class. Steve has reached out to the class recently, most don’t want to be separated out until they have a more stable/strong fleet. The race committee is ready to fully support whatever the J24 fleet wants. Will remain with C-Class through the spring, may be revisiting again in July. Pending rating appeal - DJ will meet with some people to review. Duluth Regatta - Jim is working with Jim Sharrow and is confident in being able to secure the space between grandmas and the aquarium. Still need NOR and SI’s still need to be put up. Sponsors haven’t been secured, no advertising has taken place. Only a month out. Regardless of the Regatta happening, there will still be a Saturday night social benefiting Chevy. Duluth to Bayfield - boats should only have to pay our $50 fee is they want to be scored for a DKC trophy. Overall sense of races - long mark first worked much better than having to hit the short mark. Overall positive.
- Club Transition - Has not received anything from our logo guy, at this point will just wait until fall when we send out our survey.
- Social - There has been communication trying to get things together to be able to hold socials at the 13th st site. Should look at getting back to the class-sponsored socials. Request for social committee to look into Old Chicago. Another request to support Grandmas from time to time because they have given a lot to the club with the Trans etc.
- Membership - currently at approx 150 members. Member lists and race fees have been posted online. Crew Board has been utilized, but unsure if people are getting picked up by boats. Keith is getting inundated with crew, and would like an outlet where he can send some of the crew.
- Clubhouse - Have received the most recent draft lease this morning, and it appears to meet the boat clubs expectations. Major main points that affect the club - they have agreed to a 50 year lease, no lease fees, the city will own the building because they have to. In the lease it states that the city would act as our fiscal agent to accept funds on behalf of the state/federal government but they won’t necessarily advocate for it. We will be held harmless for environmental issues that occurred before we were there. Larry would like to have a clubhouse committee meeting and would like to invite Brian and Fred to review the lease and provide comment. Will be having another interview with a fundraiser, and she is satisfactory and the final details of the lease go through we will need to be ready to hit the ground running with fundraising. Emily Larson would like to get out on a boat for a Wednesday night race.
- Motion to Adjourn - Dave Johnson, 2nd Keith Stauber
Duluth Yacht Club Meeting 5/9/2016
Meeting called to order at 6:05pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, John Hoenig, Tim Traynor, Keith Stauber, Larry Mariette, Amy Marincel, Jim Welinski, Steve Henry, Brian Shelton, Heidi Halker, Dave Johnson.
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 4/11/2016
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd Brian Shelton.
- Treasurers Report - Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet provided. Two big items were slip fees and DSSA donation. Profit and Loss Budget Analysis provided as well. DKC Tax exempt filing status is in process with Fred. Accounting for Zapp events takes a lot of effort to sort out what is what, no details as far as what the transactions are, just how many there are. Will look into options for that. Asked to give any feedback or suggestions to Alex from Zapp events.
- Race Committee - Duluth Regatta - Saturday is the DSSA fundraiser, harbor regatta/rally. Saturday night is going to be the club anchor-out at the Superior break wall. Need to be sure to promote it amongst members. Sunday would be a more formal race, dubbed the Park Point 90 covering 90% of the loop around park point. Cut off for the race is 4pm so that we can have a get-together at Pier B. Separate cruisers class, with more relaxed rules. Proceeds from Sunday’s race will be towards families fighting cancer. Lots of details to still iron out. Paid Race Fees: We currently have 14 race entries paid. Some PHRF certificates have been trickling in, many have received some feedback, if anyone has questions or concerns, they should contact Dave or Jeremy directly as they are happy to work with anyone. J24 class can turn in their class certificate. Ask that if anyone hears questions that they pass those numbers on to the Race committee to address issues. Question if we could have those who don’t have certificates automatically go into a cruising class. Will need to discuss further. Reminder to renew US Sailing memberships through the MVP Partner program. Obligatory Skippers Meeting: Meeting and potluck. People should bring their cell phones.
- Club Transition - Amy pursued the $50 guy for his 3 logos, hasn’t received anything from him and he hasn’t responded to follow-up e-mails. Will continue to follow up with him. Consensus seems to be that we don’t want to invest too much financially until we have a for sure decision on the club name.
- Membership report - Hoping to get members signing up at the meeting on Saturday. Have received some e-mails with some issues signing up. Working through those issues.
- Website - Having a few issues with uploading SailWave to website, as it’s an older technology. Jill is working on that issue now. Should work to utilize the website to share sailing with the community as much as possible.
- Clubhouse Report - Hank Martinson came to the last DBC meeting to discuss where things were at. Received a first draft and the executive committee and Larry met last Monday to review the lease, still reviewing some changes, may have been sent back to Hank today. Has been movement with the city finally, which is a good thing. Major standstill was the discovery that the DSSA site was on LAWCON land.
- Motion to Adjourn at 7:05p - Dave Johnson, 2nd Jim Welinski.
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 4/11/2016
Meeting called to order at 6:06 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, John Hoenig, David Turnham, Fred Dudderar, Tim Traynor, Keith Stauber, Larry Mariette, Amy Marincel, Terry Anderson, Steve Henry, Brian Shelton.
1.Approval of Agenda - no new items
2.Approval of Minutes - minutes from 3/14/2016
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Amy Marincel, 2nd David Turnham.
3.Treasurers Report - Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet provided in Jim’s absence.
4.Race Committee - Meeting for Duluth Regatta occurred, update provided. Will be held July 15-16. Mostly likely location will be Pier B, have to take a trip there to get a better idea of boat access. Saturday will be the fundraiser, take public out for a 30-45 minute ride for a donation. Would like to hold an event Saturday evening, still
need to figure out logistics. Sunday will be an open regatta - 2 classes, racing and open rally. Race fee could become an additional donation for DSSA. Looking for sponsors. Advertising - considering radio presence, Visit Duluth is interested in promoting. Need to meet with race committee to determine details for race. Pending Matters - need to come up with rules and regs for local rating process. Will take place at upcoming race committee meeting, please attend if able.
5.Club Transition - Was approved to spend up to $350 for logo ideas. Asked the $50 bid to come up with 3 logos before we spend the other $300. He should be providing those soon. Kelly has not purchased any of the gear she was approved to buy, pending the new logo decision. Weather seminar has been cancelled due to low reservations. Special Member meeting will still take place, however now at Barkers Island Clubhouse, 4:00-5:30p. Discussed reasons why there may not have been a strong interest, may look to hold something similar next year on a Trans year and see if it is any better received, possibly earlier in the year. May look at adding additional topics, all-day weather may have been daunting for some.
6.Social - Traveling happy hours are done. May look to feed off the Ski/sailing connection next winter, lots of members are already running ski teams, 10 teams of sailors this year, non-racers get together on Wednesday.
7.Membership report - We’ve got some members trickling in.
8.Website - Received first response on our crew board, spread the word that we have one, great way to get new people on the water. Fred would like to keep each posting up for at least 30 days. Promote it. Need to find ways to get cruisers away from the dock. Reviewed what Annapolis Yacht club is running, may be something to adopt here. Laid back races, separate classes. Tried doing clinics a couple years ago, but it didn’t produce the numbers. Need to continue to promote weekend nearshore races, discuss creating a member mentor program. Cruise to the party idea, hold a race and meet up for a social after, whether in a facility or beach.
9.Clubhouse Report - Not much new to report. Still waiting on movement from city on the lease.
10.Motion to Adjourn 7:04 - Larry Mariette, 2nd Brian Shelton.
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 3/14/16
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Steve Henry, Keith Stauber, David Turnham, Amy Marincel, Jacob Worsfold, Sarah Priest, Paul Danielson, Brian Shelton, Jim Welinski, Fred Dudderar, David Johnson, Kelly Hoenig, John Hoenig, JT Hoenig, Tim Traynor, Larry Mariette, Fred Dudderar. Jim Sharrow, Dave Johnson, Jeremy Laundergan, Bob Boynton, Amy Brooks.
Approval of Agenda - no new items
1.Approval of Minutes - minutes from February meeting will be reviewed for approval at the April meeting.
2.Treasurers Report – No new expenses for the month. 23 members have paid 2016 membership dues.
- A.Motion to approve DKC Banking Resolution – Jim Welinski, 2nd Fred Dudderar.
Discussion – Purpose of the resolution is to update the authorized signers to comply with Wells Fargo and other institutions requirements. This is a routine matter which occurs with each change of leadership of the DKC Board. The authorized signers under this resolution would be Fred Dudderar CEO/Commodore and Jim Welinski CFO/Treasurer. Motion passed unanimously.
3.Race Committee - Reviewed PHRF ratings to determine the impact of the prior use of LMPHRF certificates on the local rating. It was determined that a small number of boats were negatively impacted.
- A.Motion that all boats which received any local DKC adjustment during 2014 or 2015 simply as a result of pulling a LMPHRF certificate shall have their ratings returned to the prior DKC rating except where doing so would result in a local rating which is not fair and competitive. – David Johnson, 2nd Fred Dudderar.
A review estimated that 4 or 5 boats incurred a 3-second penalty due to pulling a LMPHRF certificate in 2014-2015. Motion passed unanimously.
4.Social – Jim W provided an update on a DKC Sailing Rally/Regatta plan for the weekend of July 16-17. The concept involves a fun series of races on Saturday to raise funds to support the Duluth Superior Sailing Association (DSSA) and traditional buoy races on Sunday. It is envisioned that Saturday’s races would allow for non-sailors from the dock to come aboard the boats to get a taste of sailing and racing for a donation to DSSA. As with all activities, the boat owner is/would be responsible for the safety of crew and guests. Jim agreed to submit a budget and additional detail at the April meeting.
5.Membership - Transition from DYC - DKC. A 30 minute special meeting will be called for April 16th at the conclusion of the Weather Seminar. The sole topic of this meeting will be to update the membership on the transition from the DYC to the DKC. The Wind Forecasting workshop for sailors is scheduled on April 16 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The event will be held at Tycoon’s Ale House and Eatery. The cost is $50 for DKC members, $65 for non-members and $70 at the door. The presenter is Mark Thornton. Mark’s website is .
- A.Motion to approve $350 for up to 6 possible DKC logo designs – Fred Dudderar , 2nd Dave Johnson. Amy M had obtained two bids to assist the club with logo development. The first bid was for $300 to provide three rendering and the second was for $50 to provide three rendering as well. Motion passed unanimously.
6.Insurance Review – David T completed an insurance review and reported that the DKC has three policies due to limitations in each type of policy. First is an on the beach policy covering shore based activities, the second is a regatta policy covering race activities and the third is a boat policy covering the committee boat. The policy covers officer, executives, board members and certain named individuals in the course of their official duties. Each policy has a limit of $1,000,000.
7.New Business – We received a request from a club member to reiterate that the DKC is a sailing club staffed by volunteers. The member requested that sailors maintain their civility and treat each other with respect. The DSSA updated the DKC on their budget and the status of the combined efforts to develop a club house on Park Point. The DSSA budget is stable with little variation with program revenues primarily directed to teaching sailing to interested people. Activity data reports growth in the numbers of new sailors with youth classes and private/public school users driving the growth.
- A.Motion to approve DKC’s annual $1,500 contribution to the DSSA – David Turnham, 2nd Steve Henry. Discussion about contribution in kind versus cash and does this change the summer sailing rally focus. Motion passed unanimously.
8.Club House Committee – Larry reported that the process has slowed down with the City due to their internal processes. The committee continues to work with and encourage the City officials to move the process along.
9.Motion to Adjourn - Dave Johnson, 2nd Brian Shelton
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 2/8/16
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Steve Henry, Keith Stauber, David Turnham, Amy Marincel, Brian Shelton, Jim Welinski, Fred Dudderar, David Johnson, Kelly Hoenig.
Approval of Agenda - no new items
1. Approval of Minutes - minutes from 1/11/16. Stacy will send to Fred for placement on website upon approval.
A. Motion to approve minutes - Brian Shelton, 2nd Keith Stauber
2. Treasurers Report - No expenses for the month. Reviewed proposed budget for 216. Fred and Jim went through information, reviewed in detail. Reminded about ways to save with committee boat, cover from Ship Shape for $600, and look at alternative winter storage options. Membership income may be a little high due to early bird pricing. Zap Events 5% fee. Could look to set a membership goal to increase expenses for socials etc., could also make the fundraising race for DSSA to save the $1500 for community program support.
A. Motion to approve 2016 budget - David Johnson, 2nd Keith Stauber.
Discussion – Should try to find ways to increase our profits, $30 isn’t much of a cushion. Do we have Errors and Omissions coverage for the board? Given some protection from by-laws, not sure of the price, but feels that it is expensive, homeowners insurance may offer some coverage, but would have to look into it some more. David will look into our existing coverage.
3. Race Committee - Reviewed PHRF ratings process as recommended by race committee. Reviewed the need for having a separate ratings committee from race committee, ratings committee should supersede race committee when it comes to ratings decisions. Needs to be separate to preserve the rules. Is there a conflict of interest? Keith feels so because he has seen it happen. Some feel it isn’t an issue, and we are limited in members who are willing and capable to volunteer. Need to educate members so they are equipped to be a part of the appeals panel. PHRF Certificate - would like to get this out as soon as possible so that if there are skippers who struggle with this we can assist before racing starts. Thought is for everyone to fill this out one time as a baseline, and only require a re-cert if changes are made. Mostly interested in a baseline, because we also have a performance based PHFR review in process. Ship Shape can measure sails at no cost.
A. Motion to approve new and revised Ratings process and ratings certificate - David Turnham, 2nd Brian Shelton.
After reviewing PHRFs, felt there wasn’t a reason to change anyone’s rating from 2015. Need to write some rules and regs to support our process.
4. Social - First one was a good turnout for a bad weather night, Spirit room appreciated us, would love to have us back. Got us some reserved seating for comedy at Dubhlinn at the end of the month. Have been advertising the Wind seminar to many local marinas and yacht clubs. Will put out flyers at the Duluth boat show and will reach out to DSSA, may look to put up a poster at Marine General. US Sailing puts on events, Kelly would like to put it on the calendar for next February, needs to plan in advance. Race management is one she is looking at. Merchandise - Big Frog, 80/20 split. Need 100 order (can be split into several items) would love to do the Trans as well. Would terminate coral reef. You could bring your own things in as they have logo. Will do an online store for us and we wouldn’t need to keep that merchandise in inventory.
A. Motion to authorize Kelly to spend up to $1000 for new merchandise (with thanks to Kelly for her work) - Dave Johnson, 2nd Stacy McKenzie
5. Membership - Transition from DYC - DKC. Wants the opportunity to be transparent to our members on the switch. Will promote an open forum before the next meeting via newsletter, traveling happy hour etc. include unveiling of new logo. Steve will change twitter name, Need to combine Facebook group and page, no need to have 2. Steve with connect with Krister. Need to point yacht club website to keel club website.
6. New Business - Fundraising race, would like to do a rally. Get sponsors to pay for this, brewery/distillery etc to set up a base camp. Want to have a tent for a social gathering spot, may have boats go out one at time or pair up, get friends/neighbors/relatives out to write a check to support, boats that aren’t participating pull up and hang out at tent (captains are DD’s) live music or Pandora running, Would like the money to go to DSSA. 4 jobs need to be filled, sailing/race director, social director for the tent, marketing/PR director (radio broadcast at the site, social media) logistics director, tent, DPB, coast guard etc. Can we couple this with the summer regatta? Saturday is a rally, Sunday would be racing? Will discuss and come up with a plan by March. February 17th, 60th birthday party for David Turnham at Clyde Iron 5-7.
7. Motion to Adjourn - Dave Johnson, 2nd Brian Shelton
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 1/11/16
Grandmas Sand Bar
Meeting called to order at 6:04 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Steve Henry, Keith Stauber, Larry Mariette, Paul Buckley, Tom Rauschenfels, David Turnham, Terry Anderson, Heidi Halker, Amy Marincel, Brian Shelton, Allen Thomas, Jim Welinski, Fred Dudderar, Jeremy Laundergan, David Johnson.
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 12/14/15.
- A.Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber 2nd Brian Shelton
- Treasurers Report - Handed out December P&L. Reviewed Budget Analysis, separated out Trans because it is only held every other year. Membership dues - Family Memberships 41, Individual 27, crew/social 48. Race fees brought in $11,890, which covers our race expenses. Lost money on our seminar, only $1,265 in income, cost nearly $2,500 in expenses. Need to decide if continue with this, and if so, at what caliber. Did analysis on discount for membership fees, not sure he supports the early bird discounts, will discuss more at time of budget. Banquet/party expenses included expenses from award flags, which should be part of race fees. About $8000 in true expenses for the banquet. Trans carried us this year in terms of profit, will not have that next year. Fred and Jim will meet to discuss the 2016 budget.
- A.Motion to approve treasurers report - Keith Stauber, 2nd David Turnham
- DSSA Contribution - Dale Hedke emailed asking for a contribution of $1500 for DSSA for 2016. Fred requested a review of their financials. Someone from DSSA will be at our February meeting where we can discuss further. Amy mentioned again the offer of items vs a dollar amount. Will discuss in February.
- Race Committee - Reviewed draft revised PHRF ratings review/ process. Would like to go to a ratings certificate model which would require complete listing of equipment and configuration to set a benchmark for each boat. New filings would occur when a modification takes place. A new unrated boat would use an initial weighted average, and then after data is collected we would do a review of those ratings, just as we would for other boats. Ratings for custom boats would require a different analysis, will include specifics in the final version. This would be a self-certify, on the honor system. How do we enforce the process/appeals process - do we want to deal with enforcement or the issues that will come up when ratings are reviewed? Wondering what brought on this review on the current system? Current process said nothing about what the RC would do as far as reviews of ratings; this is taking our existing process and adding some more structure to it. Brian mentioned last year an analysis of the fleet was done. There was also a review done in 2008-2009. Brian will get documentation to Jeremy. Lengthy discussion on Local vs LMPHRF ratings, clearly there are benefits to both options. Race committee will review the draft process, take into account discussion and input and present a final recommendation.
- Social - Traveling Happy hours, different locations every Wednesday. Full day seminar for weather, may cost about $1200 for speaker including travel, looking at a March timeframe at the Kitch. 1/2 day discussion on local conditions (panel discussions), over breakfast with a moderator. May look at another option for promoting sailing (similar to sail and ales). Jeremy is willing to do a presentation on AC design. Market all of these to non-racing sailors as well as (marinas etc) as this is information that pertains to cruising as well as racing.
- Membership - Steve wants to be transparent over ratings, new name etc. with members this year. Would like to hold some kind of general membership party, town hall meeting style to be able to discuss what happened and what we are going to do about it going forward. Bring in community involvement, fundraiser etc., could partner with what Rob is doing. Would be fun to hold a flotilla during the summer, reach out to non-racing community. Mentioned the need for participation at board meetings from social/ media aspects.
- Website - Website is temporarily up, looking for feedback. Will not be static, will be updated regularly, and will have pertinent feeds (ISAF etc.), may look at making the gallery more artistic, hold awards etc, or could just be a place for all photos.
- Clubhouse - Bonding bill will be introduced on March 8th. DBC appropriated $3k in matched funds with DAA for dredge samples. All looks good. Ran into issue with the city regarding the DSSA site located on a piece of land covered by LAWCON. May not be able to include both sites in one lease, which would allow us to move forward with a lease on 13th street. More meetings with the city to come.
- New Business - February meeting will be held at Green Mill.
- Motion to Adjourn - Dave Johnson, 2nd Steve Henry.
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 12/14/15
Grandmas Sand Bar
Meeting called to order at 6:03 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Steve Henry, Keith Stauber, Larry Mariette, Tim Traynor, David Turnham, Paul Danielson, Jason Worsfold, Amy Marincel, Brian Shelton, Allen Thomas, Dave Johnson, Jim Welinski, Fred Dudderar
Approval of Agenda - no new items
- Approval of Minutes - minutes from 11/13/15
- Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber 2nd Amy Marincel.
- Treasurers Report - Went through and added all information from January 2015 - present. Based on this information we can easily come up with a budget. Once budget is approved, new system will allow a budget analysis instantaneously. Jim ran the numbers while we were discussing the 4.9% fee from Zap, and at this point, we would be covered based on our profits on race fees from last year. Jim mentioned that we spent about $1800 on shrink-wrap and storage for the committee boat, Jim says that Ship Shape would be able to make a cover for $500-600, and if someone would be willing to host the committee boat for the winter we could save about $1300. Created an expense reimbursement form, will distribute to board. Asking that whenever someone has an expense that they fill out the form and attach receipts to submit to Jim. Has seen a lot of income coming from Trans merchandise, was not expected. Should look at the possibility of treating this like a small business, should look at ways of improving income. Merchandise seems like a a good income maker. Because our Revenue was above $50,000, we will be filing an informational return in May.
- Motion to approve treasurers report - Dave Johnson, 2nd David Turnham
- Race Committee - Have set schedule for next year, working on nailing fee structire. Provided proposal. A la cart per series has changed, all $110 each for simplicity. Set fee schedule for individual races, minus Duluth to Bayfield ($50 separate fee). Tiered pricing effective May 15th. Hoping to encourage people to pay early. Price for Duluth to Bayfield is based on historic fees, helps support pre-race social and pre-race breakfast. May 15th was chosen to be after the obligatory skippers meeting. May 18th is the first race. Paid boats will be posted on the website. Online payment is the key to make this succeed. Transparent, instantaneous etc. Need to get a new representative for Jib and Main as Larry has resigned. Tim Traynor will replace him. Scoring will be unchanged from last year. Boats will not be entered into scoring mid-series, will be sure to welcome all boats with open arms, but remain with our decided rule. Need to be proactive with reaching out to remind owners that are known offenders. Discussion on opinions on scoring differently on weekends (number registered vs. boats that race plus one) and Wednesday nights for boats that join mid-series. Several situations could occur, and to make a compromise that makes the most sense race committee’s decision will stand.
- Motion to accept Race fees. Larry Mariette, 2nd Keith Stauber
- Membership - Tiered pricing will be in effect for this as well, date for increase is after March 31st. Price after March 31st will be the same as last year, so early bird price will be cheaper than last years fees. Date was decided for potential for information to be in the leading edge. Discussion about the age limit on family memberships.
A. Motion to accept membership fees and adding a cut-off age of 21 for kids under a family membership - Fred Dudderar, 2nd Keith Stauber
- Website - will be utilizing online payments through Zap events for both Race and Membership fees. Will simplify things as well as making things transparent. Information will be available on the website keeping privacy in mind. Zap events charges an additional 4.9% per transaction, Fred proposes we absorb that price at the club level instead of increasing fees. Approximate cost to the club will be between $900-$1000. Worth the price for simplicity it offers as well as the number of man hours reduced. New website should be up and running first week in January. Will be preserving old domain names in the event we want to use them.
- Assumed Name - MN non-profit DYC will be administratively dissolved January 1st 2016. MN secretary of State will bookmark the name for a 12 month period. After that timeframe, it will become available for anyone to use (January 1st 2017). Discussion on Keel Club vs. Yacht Club. Need to have talking points available. Will send out an e-mail and roll out information on website. Will need to follow up with Facebook and gmail accounts.
A. Motion to operate during 2016 as the Duluth Keel Club. - David Turnham, 2nd Brian Shelton.
- Clubhouse - Not much going on. Postponing communication with Emily Larson until after the 1st of the year.
- Social - Jamie Kumbera and Kelly Hoenig are working on a winter social/educational calendar. Dave Johnson met with manager of Pier B Resort and Restaurant. Will be a very boating-centric facility. Has expressed an interest in sponsoring our summer regatta. Details are still unknown. May look at it as a possible site for meetings etc. Amy also spoke with them briefly about hosting banquets, were very open to possibilities. Looking for people interested in helping out with social/educational side. Stacy has volunteered to assume Newsletter responsibility.
- New Business - Agenda and minutes should be available to general membership. Will add approved minutes to newsletter. Should be working on getting out a standard agenda out to membership. Membership chair. Needs to be defined more clearly. More effort and energy should be put forth to gaining new members - 41 family, 21 individual, 48 crew/social, 32 full race fees. Should be fielding and marketing new club members, enhance participation. In terms of where we stand to other yacht clubs and marinas, they are putting out brochures and having monthly socials etc. Steve Henry as vice commodore is our membership chair via bylaws. Steve will put together some action points for January meeting as far as how we can increase.
- Motion to Adjourn - Dave Johnson, 2nd David Turnham.
Duluth Keel Club Meeting 11/9/2015
Grandmas Sand Bar
Meeting called to order at 6:02 pm. Members in attendance - Stacy McKenzie, Krister Mattson, David
Turnham, Amy Marincel, Jason Worsfold, Eric Thomas, Dave Johnson, Jim Welinski, Fred Dudderar, Larry Mariette, Keith Stauber, Steve Henry, Kris Henry.
1. Approval of Agenda - no new items
2. Approval of Minutes - minutes from 10/12/2015
- Motion to approve minutes - Keith Stauber, 2nd Amy Marincel.
3. Corporate Matters- Fred brought forward a resolution to clear up corporate records of the company,
Duluth Keel Club. See attached Resolution.
- Motion to accept the resolution with a minor change to the word ‘periodically’ in the 4th paragraph to frequently. - Dave Johnson, 2nd Larry Mariette.
4. Treasurer’s Report - Trying to simplify things. Would like to eliminate some accounts, such as the Trans account - drain them dry and let them remain static. Still need to work to create a budget for 2016. What is the fiscal year? Sept. 30 year end. Fred will send a spreadsheet to Jim as a suggestion. Would like to start basing monthly reports on a monthly basis 1-31st etc.
- Motion to approve Treasurer’s Report – Keith Stauber, 2nd Dave Johnson
5. Race - Handed out proposed race schedule. Aug 13th race should be a fundraising/charity race. Could be one charity or could we leave it up to each boat to pick their charity to fundraise for, depending on how much money is raised, may look take time off of PHRF etc. This race will be held the same day as summer gala, and mid of the j24 regatta. Proposal to move D-B race to Thursday prior to Around the Islands. Will plan to give it a try and see how it pans out. New site as Knife River to replace two harbors as it provides a better safe harbor, allows for a new social site complete with amenities, looking for new sponsor for the DYC summer regatta to make a big deal of it.
- a.Motion to accept proposed race schedule including proposed change to the date of the Duluth to Bayfield race. - Larry Mariette, 2nd Steve Henry.
Planning to use online registration through Zapp Events. Great through race management side of things. Processing fee is $1.90 plus 5%. We plan to absorb the 5%. May look into tiered pricing, pay more if you pay late. May 1st cut-off. Saw a preview of the new website. Will try to continue with Facebook feed for crew needs. Information is open to everyone with the exception of admin type log-ins. Website should be live on the 8th of Jan. Need to decide on our name by our December meeting.
6. Website - Boat club is locked down because we need to give domain rights back to them. Fred will see what he can do. Jan 8th, this is going away, need to give appropriate parties notice and rights.
7. Clubhouse – Duluth Boat club has been attending several meetings: Meeting with Duluth Youth Charter group - networking event with likeminded groups trying to get youth outdoors. Our bonding info has been on the news following the meeting with Roger Reinhart at Glensheen. Upcoming meeting with DAA, need to get borings from Chad from AMI to ensure the airport project would be able to use our dredge material.
8. PHRF – Need to look at the option of just using LMPHRF vs. our local rating system, will do PHRFs for every boat for $25. Need to have further discussion.
Motion to Adjourn – Dave Johnson, 2nd Stacy McKenzie
Additional Items: Need to move lawnmower to Keith Stauber’s to free up Matt Ruona’s space. Newsletter - Alex Gutterman may be interested in taking over. Kyle is a cartoonist, may be fun to add to newsletter.
See next page for attatchment.
Submitted by Stacy McKenzie on 11/10/15
Attachment 1: Resolution
RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS OF
THE DULUTH KEEL CLUB, INC.
Whereas, on December 20, 1976, the Duluth Keel Club, Inc. (“the Company”) was formed as a Minnesota nonprofit corporation under Minnesota Statutes 317A by the filing of Articles of Incorporation with the Minnesota Secretary of State, corporate file number 0-1041, Federal Taxpayer ID No. 41-1515181.; and
Whereas, the officers of the Company have periodically filed documents with the Internal Revenue Service, including, but not limited to, IRS Form 990-N, as necessary to maintain the tax-exempt status of the Company; and
Whereas, the primary assets of the Company, including, but not limited to, Morgan Stanley Investment Account #021-108096-001, as well as the Company’s Committee Boat, have at all times been held in the name of Duluth Keel Club, and it has at all times been the intent of the members of the Board of Directors and the officers of the Company that the assets of the Company be held in the name of the Duluth Keel Club; and
Whereas, since the incorporation of the Company, it has been the intent and understanding of the Company's Board of Directors and officers that the business and affairs of the Company were to be conducted under both the legal name of the Company, i.e., Duluth Keel Club, and periodically under the assumed name "Duluth Yacht Club"; and
Whereas, it has been discovered that no assumed or fictitious name filing has ever been made by the Company with the Minnesota Secretary of State for the purpose of identifying the Company's use of the assumed name "Duluth Yacht Club," and that some confusion has arisen as result of the incorporation of a separate Minnesota non-profit corporation with the legal name "Duluth Yacht Club," on March 28, 1989, corporate file number 1D-336, Federal Taxpayer ID No. 41-1722695; and
Now, therefore, it is HEREBY RESOLVED that, in order to clarify the corporate records of the Company and avoid further confusion, all corporate records of the Company, including, but not limited to, the name of the Company denominated in minutes, notices and bylaws, are hereby corrected and shall in all instances be deemed a reference to the legal name of the Company, i.e., Duluth Keel Club; and
Now, therefore, it is HEREBY FURTHER RESOLVED that, prospectively, the business and affairs of the Company shall be conducted under the legal name of the Company, i.e., Duluth Keel Club, except for any assumed name which may hereafter be designated by the Board of Directors of the Company and properly filed pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, and except for or future any change in the legal name of the Company approved by the Company's membership in accordance with future amendments to the Company's bylaws.